Friday 10 September 2010

Retail Therapy

The Hindu Aviva Wall of Books was reasonably successful, in terms of numbers – from what I gather, around 2 lakh books were donated.

My contribution was around 20 odd books – mostly computing along with a chance to get rid of a Paul Johnson I had bought by accident.

Unfortunately, the book donation place was between two pen shops – the first William Penn in India and a World Pen Store

I tried to resist and I tried, honest.

I lasted about 11 seconds

Then I went to William Penn’s

The store was the usual glass display cases with brands taking individual shelves. The staff were nice, but not particularly knowledgeable. No broad nibs, no fine nibs either. Main brands were the usual Sheaffers, Waterman etc. But they also had Retros – roller balls only. Cartiers, Porsche, Sailor and Fishers.

Gave in and bought a Pelikan. Their Pelikan collection was decent. This was the model I got.

Aubergine-Transparent

The other store, the Editions store was way more upmarket. Several Duponts, Deltas, Cartiers, Krone and even David Oscarsons. The store clerk was quite knowledgeable and helpful. Saw my first Curtis fountain pens here. Bought myself a Titanium Stipula.

No comments:

Post a Comment