Thursday 26 June 2014

Facebook and me

This is my Facebook life.

Minor differences. My life is even suckier than Scott's is in the video. I don't have a significant other or am I in relationship. My job has its dead end days - usually there are six of them every week.
But the video makes me wonder. Most of my friends on Facebook are my age, and they are in the two children, senior position at some company, and expensive vacations stage of life.
On this day, 26th of June, 2014, this is on my Facebook news feed.
  1. A post on frogs by a respected naturalist specializing in the little croakers
  2. One family photo of a friend in front of the Sydney Opera house at night, captioned "A Night at the Opera"
  3. One question from a quiz group a colleague enrolled me in
  4. One link from The American Conservative on the "Credibility Fallacy" in American foreign policy
  5. One link from the Atlantic titled "Children are taught too much about the importance of achievement and too little about the value of empathy"
  6. A post from Alan Moore saying that limited signed copies of his "Show Pieces" box set are available
  7. A link to a Kotaku story on bargain games
  8. A link to a Wired story on Google's new design language for devices
  9. A photo from a college mate's wife of their kids coddling in bed and watching X-Men
  10. Another classmate's post of a quote from Camus (""The absurd is lucid reason that sees its limits"), complete with a photo of Titian's Sisyphus
  11. A link to a Daily Show video clip
  12. A photo of two kids watching Frozen, taken by their father, an old schoolmate
  13. A video re-shared by an ex-colleague, showing two women shoplifting
  14. An old classmate's wife posts that she is watching a comedian perform at New York's Radio City Music Hall with her husband
  15. An old collegemate's selfie, eating doughnuts with his daughter
 So why am I even on this thing?