Sunday 31 May 2009

Reunions

I despise reunions. Maybe its because I'm from a couple of reasonably reputable institutions which churn out  entrepreneurs and serial CEOs and I'm something that stayed stuck at the bottom of the barrel. So when Venky put a senti on me and extracted a promise that I would attend - a promise I made just to stop him talking - second,  third and fourth thoughts started crowding in almost immediately.
I went, mainly because I hadn't seen Boxer or LuxTina for a long time. It was scheduled to start at 7:00 pm and I went there promptly at half past - and I had my ear bitten for 500 rupees. Got chucked out of the bar because it was for residents and couples only that night. 
By the time my first drink arrived in the coffee shop, I was thinking of the most painful way I would want Venky killed. 
In the end, it wasn't too bad. Jeyamani was assigned to the function - innovatively called "Notalgia" and he made sure that my glass was never empty. Saw Lux - who played his "cloud cloud baby" record and improvised a very serviceable "Joka rap" - and Tina, Bhasker and a couple of others. Apart from a bunch of high enthu kids, there were a bunch of older guys - most of whom were happy to reminisce about intoxicants indulged in - and sing out of tune "Ye shaam mastani" loudly.
Left basking in the glow of several drinks and the feeling of a painful duty performed, but will I go next year?
No frikkin way.

No comments:

Post a Comment